Bill

>  Does ParaView itself not
> link static on linux?

In general no not really. On our Cray we have no dynamic lib support and this
kind of thing is very painful. On other machines even if you turn off shared
libs, in actual fact, the final exe does pull in all the system libs as shared
ones, so it's not a true test.

> set KWSYS_USE_DynamicLoader to 0

where does one do that?

> There is not much more CMake can do for this.  So, I would recommend
> moving the discussion to the ParaView or VTK developers list.

OK. I am experimenting with Michael's CMAKE_CXX_LINK_EXECUTABLE suggestion and
have found some references using google, but I'm not quite sure how to
progress, so any hint welcome as they will certainly save me time.

thanks

JB