I'm pretty sure the original intent was for file(DOWNLOAD ...) to not raise
errors so that scripts can analyze status and log and decide what to do next
rather than forcing a CMake error...

I recently added EXPECTED_MD5 to file(DOWNLOAD in the 'next' branch of
CMake. If a download fails when there's an expected MD5 sum given, then it
*does* raise an error. Perhaps you'll find that useful in the next
release...

Cheers,
David C.