On 7/30/10 7:01 AM, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Ryan Pavlik<rpav...@iastate.edu>  wrote:
Almost nobody uses the static runtime unless someone else's lib forces them
Why not?
If Windows had proper package management I wouldn't use it either, but
until then...

Olaf
I'd only really just offer it as one option, in case a user of your library is forced to use another library with the static runtime. It doesn't mean that you don't have a static library without it, it just means you aren't embedding the entire standard c/c++ runtime library into yours, bloating memory usage, and inviting lots of symbol collisions when versions don't quite match. Myself and my colleagues have collectively lost significant hair on this one, and it took a while for me to figure out exactly what it all meant since it's kind of confusing. (and the error messages more so)

For more info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh%28VS.80%29.aspx

http://www.rationaldev.com/error_LNK2005_method_already_defined_in_LIBCMT_lib

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/94248 - see section 4 and 5

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
Human-Computer Interaction Graduate Student

rpav...@iastate.edu
http://academic.cleardefinition.com/