Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jack...@bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio

On Nov 5, 2010, at 10:06 AM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

On 05.11.10 09:36:39, Michael Jackson wrote:
I have an idea for a feature that might help resolve some of the
"Find***" issues. I would like to see CMake implement some sort of
"Software Update" mechanism where you could tell CMake to check a
central server for any updated FindXXX.cmake files and then download
them into the cmake installation directory. This would alleviate some
issues (cough ** FindBoost.cmake *** cough) where a critical fix gets
implemented but a user has to either compile from HEAD or wait for the *next* release, which might be 3 months away. I would venture to guess
that most of the tweaks to the FindXXX.cmake files are CMake Major
version independent. This would be a nice way to push out small updates that don't actually require a full recompile or newer version of CMake to
be installed.

But it'll only work on Windows and/or MacOSX. On Linux the average user
won't have write access to the location of the modules. So in addition
cmake will have to implement a way to also look into the users home- folder
or something like that.

Andreas

I just thought of that myself after I hit sent. There are definitely issues to be resolved but I don't think it is anything insurmountable. For OS X and Windows each Operating System has specific "Application Support" folders where these things can be stored in. For Linux the usual .cmake type of folder could be used.

Anyways, if we want to discuss this further I should open a bug instead of hijacking this thread.

Thanks for the feedback
--
Mike Jackson