On Saturday 27 November 2010 14:58:15 Michael Jackson wrote:
> # In this file we are doing all of our 'configure' checks. Things like
> checking # for headers, functions, libraries, types and size of types.
> INCLUDE (${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/CheckIncludeFile.cmake)
.. > # To check for an include file you do this:
> CHECK_INCLUDE_FILE("stdint.h"        HAVE_STDINT_H)
this I find straightforward

On Saturday 27 November 2010 14:58:15 Michael Jackson wrote:
> # In this file we are doing all of our 'configure' checks. Things like
> checking # for headers, functions, libraries, types and size of types.
> INCLUDE (${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/CheckFunctionExists.cmake)
I presume can be used aas for example:-
CHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS(pow  HAVE_POW)
CHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS(realloc  HAVE_HAVE_REALLOC)  etc etc

On Saturday 27 November 2010 14:58:15 Michael Jackson wrote:
> # To check the size of a primitive type:
> CHECK_TYPE_SIZE("int"   SIZEOF_INT)
QUESTION:
the ones that frequently  come into what I do are  long, zint, dzint (complex)

So would these translate to
CHECK_TYPE_SIZE("long"   SIZEOF_LONG)   etc etc ?

On Saturday 27 November 2010 14:58:15 Michael Jackson wrote:
> # In this file we are doing all of our 'configure' checks. Things like
> checking # for headers, functions, libraries, types and size of types.

> INCLUDE (${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/CheckCXXSourceCompiles.cmake)
> INCLUDE (${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/TestBigEndian.cmake)
> INCLUDE (${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/CheckSymbolExists.cmake)

headers, datatypes, functions  seem straight forward,  I currently have  a
config.h.in    refering to 'package' (I assume something to do with pkgconfig
)  for which  I  have not a clue how  to translate using the tools above:-
The said  problematic  config.h.in file  has lines like these:-

-----------------------------
/* Name of package */
#undef PACKAGE

/* Define to the address where bug reports for this package should be sent. */
#undef PACKAGE_BUGREPORT

/* Define to the full name of this package. */
#undef PACKAGE_NAME

/* Define to the full name and version of this package. */
#undef PACKAGE_STRING

/* Define to the one symbol short name of this package. */
#undef PACKAGE_TARNAME

/* Define to the version of this package. */
#undef PACKAGE_VERSION

/* Version number of package */
#undef VERSION

/* Define to empty if `const' does not conform to ANSI C. */
#undef const

/* Define to rpl_malloc if the replacement function should be used. */
#undef malloc

/* Define to rpl_realloc if the replacement function should be used. */
#undef realloc

thanks again for your suggestion and  advice  on the above would be
apprecuated