set_source_files_properties(debug_funcs.c PROPERTIES
   EXCLUDE_FROM_CONFIGURATIONS "Release;MinSizeRel")

I do not want to exclude this file based on the value of the variable "CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE". ;-)

I don't think it would make to do this based on preprocessor definitions.

It seems that our ideas converge.   :-)

So, toy.cxx is not actually the problem,

Correct.

but you don't want to link against the XML library.

Partly. yes.

I am affected by a general issue from C++ class libraries. The corresponding free source files were copied to a subdirectory of the project I am interested in because a public shared library (*.so/*.dll) seems to be missing for it. (The project has got its own bundle of external software.)

Library features are used in a limited way so far. This has got the consequence that its compilation should be optional for specific application parts.

Do you need the library anyways (e.g. for other targets) [...] ?

The software test part depends on the C++ class library unconditionally.

However, if libxml is required for debugging only and you don't want to
require it unconditionally, you have a problem and I can't see an easy
way around it.

The utility "http://grinninglizard.com/tinyxml/index.html"; is needed in my case.

Regards,
Markus