Hi everyone,

I recently installed the 64-bit version of Windows 7 on a computer which had previously been running 32-bit Vista (so, everything got wiped). I develop with Qt so I installed the standard Qt SDK (version 1.1.3 that was released last week; Qt libs version 4.7.4) and downloaded and installed the CMake installer (which is 32-bit). I discovered that I could not get CMake to run; it fails when checking for a working C compiler:

-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/gcc.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/gcc.exe -- broken
CMake Error at C:/Program Files x86/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestC
Compiler.cmake:52 (MESSAGE):
The C compiler "C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/gcc.exe" is not able to compile a simple
  test program.

  It fails with the following output:

   Change Dir: C:/Users/Yusuf Smith/hg/qtm-1.4/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

  Run Build Command:C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe
  "cmTryCompileExec/fast"

  C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f
  CMakeFiles\cmTryCompileExec.dir\build.make
  CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build

  C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe: Interrupt/Exception caught (code =
  0xc0000005, addr = 0x41f96e)

  CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:1 (project)

I found an earlier answer that having a directory containing parentheses in the search path may cause failure, and I had altered the path to include Vim and CMake which are both in "c:\Program Files (x86)", so I reinstalled these in another directory, "c:\Program Files x86" and changed my path accordingly. I still have this failure, however.

Also, spaces in directory names have been suggested as a problem, but my home directory had the same name under Vista and my program built fine then. This has all happened since the upgrade.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I cannot be the only one having this problem with the standard Qt SDK. Apart from CMake, my whole stack is from the Qt SDK.

Regards,

Matt Smith

--

http://qtm.blogistan.co.uk/