Am Dienstag, 20. September 2011, 16:21:06 schrieb David Cole:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Alan W. Irwin
>
> <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
> >>
> >> P.S. I should have mentioned that the bug concerned FindThreads.cmake,
> >> and the PLplot build system does use "find_package(Threads)" for the
> >> xwin device driver.  So I am a bit surprised I am not seeing the issue
> >> for an optimized build that includes that device driver.
> >
> > P.P.S.  Strike that.  I found the issue at PLplot run-time, not build
> > time for CMake-2.8.6-rc3 (probably because the PLplot library
> > dynamically loads device drivers such as xwin).  So I strongly second
> > Orion's call for a fix before 2.8.6 is released.
> >
> > Here is the evidence:
> >
> > software@raven> examples/c/x01c -dev xwin
> > PLplot library version: 5.9.8
> > examples/c/x01c: symbol lookup error:
> > /home/software/plplot_svn/HEAD/build_dir/drivers/xwin.so: undefined
> > symbol: pthread_mutexattr_init
> >
> > software@raven> ldd -r drivers/xwin.so |grep undefine
> > undefined symbol: pthread_mutexattr_settype     (drivers/xwin.so)
> > undefined symbol: pthread_create        (drivers/xwin.so)
> > undefined symbol: pthread_mutexattr_init        (drivers/xwin.so)
> > undefined symbol: pthread_cancel        (drivers/xwin.so)
> > undefined symbol: pthread_join  (drivers/xwin.so)
> >
> > Thanks, Orion, for catching this problem.  Recently, I have become
> > quite lazy about testing cmake RC's because normally they just
> > work.  But cmake-2.8.6-rc3 is definitely an exception to that
> > rule and a general wakeup call for everyone to thoroughly test
> > the CMake RC's both at build time _and_ run time.

> I will be reverting the commits associated with the bad bug fix
> mentioned here, so that we will end up with "equivalent to 2.8.5"
> behavior with respect to this.
>
> We'll have to shoot for a real fix for next time.

I think it's best to do for now. But for me it looks like the fix is indeed
correct (for the pthreads part), but CheckFunctionExists isn't really
reliable. I think I'll cook up some patches for this module that we can run
through the dashboards and see when CheckFunctionExists does actually work
(and when not). Then we can try to get some better code to detect the presence
of functions.

Eike

P.S.: and I would really like if the mailing list footer could get a proper
delimiter (i.e. "dash-dash-space") so it can be automatically stripped by
every sane mail program when replying.