Reading the documentation it is not clear how the DEPENDS option works in ExternalProject_Add.

For example, I add HDF5 to my build and HDF5 depends on zlib the following doesn't work

find_package(ZLIB)
add_library(zlib UNKNOWN IMPORTED)
set_target_properties(zlib PROPERTIES IMPORTED_LOCATION ${ZLIB_LIBRARY})

ExternalProject_Add(hdf5 DEPENDS zlib ......)

throws an error with the message 'No rule to make /zlib-done', needed by external_projects/src/hdf5-stamp/hdf5-configure

For ExternalProject_Add, are the targets listed under the DEPENDS option only targets that will be built with another ExternalProject_Add, not existing libraries?

--
Lori A. Pritchett-Sheats, PhD.
CCS-2, Computational Physics and Methods

Los Alamos National Laboratory
P.O. Box 1663
MS D413
Los Alamos, NM 87544