John is right. The external project may be at the bottom of a chain of
(my own) project dependencies. I need to preserve the ability to
easily rebuild just my projects (and their dependencies), not external
projects. Think of ExternalProject as a replacement for pre-built
libraries, and you'll see where I'm coming from.

Perhaps I need to file a feature request on Mantis.