I'm trying to get my large project (built of many sub-projects and external projects) to build correctly in Visual Studio, allowing the user to compile release/debug from the UI. One problem I have: I'm building an external library, and I've customized ExternalProject to keep per-configuration builds of the external projects. The problem I'm now facing that I don't see a resolution to: I need include_directories to allow per-configuration includes. I.e.

include_directories (third_party_INCLUDE_DIR_DEBUG)

or

include_directories (third_party_INCLUDE_DIR_RELEASE)

I tried setting COMPILE_FLAGS with -I... for the target, but cmake seems to ignore that when generating the Visual Studio 2005 project files. There doesn't seem to be a way to force the include into the visual studio project files.

Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks,
Kevin