I have a JSON file that needs to have some values set based on the project's
configuration. During development, this file can change rather frequently.

Currently, I am using configure_file to fill in the required values.
Unfortunately, every time the file is modified, it triggers CMake to do a
complete configuration and generation step. This slows down rebuilds, and is
especially problematic when using Visual Studio, where the solution has to be
reloaded after it is regenerated.

Is there any way to have the file generated as part of the build instead of
part of the configuration/generation step?

Thanks,
-- Erik