Thanks.
I was sitting for hours trying to write this huge macro and now the solution isso easy.
For future readers, here is my macro:

   /MACRO(HEADER_DIRECTORIES return_list)/
   /    FILE(GLOB_RECURSE new_list *.h)/
   /    SET(dir_list "")/
   /    FOREACH(file_path ${new_list})/
   /        GET_FILENAME_COMPONENT(dir_path ${file_path} PATH)/
   /        SET(dir_list ${dir_list} ${dir_path})/
   /    ENDFOREACH()/
   /    LIST(REMOVE_DUPLICATES dir_list)/
   /    SET(${return_list} ${dir_list})/
   /ENDMACRO()/