On 6/13/2012 5:14 PM, J Decker wrote:
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Jonathan Romero <jonn...@jonnyro.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Micha Renner <micha.ren...@t-online.de>
wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 13.06.2012, 14:51 +0200 schrieb Robert Carnecky:
Hello,

My Visual Studio 2010 is constantly prompting me to build ZERO_CHECK
every time I try to run my program, even though nothing has changed. Is
there a workaround for this?
No, that is the current situation. This problem and some others belong
to a complex of problems which CMake has with Visual Studio since 2008.
May be it becomes better with VS 2012.

Micha

How to reproduce:
1. Set up the simplest project possible (see below).
2. Configure and generate using the CMake GUI.
3. Open the project file and build the project. Project successfully
builds.
4. Start the application from within Visual Studio (press F5). A message
box appears, saying "This project is out of date: ZERO_CHECK. Would you
like to build it?".
5. Click on yes. ZERO_CHECK is built, no actual code gets compiled. The
application starts and exits.
6. Go to step 4 (message box appears again).

I do not want to enable automatic rebuilds without prompts, since I have
other projects where a build can take very long and I do not want to
start it when not necessary. Starting a build immediately deletes the
executable file and I would not be able to run the last version while
making changes to the code.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

CMakeLists.txt:
project(test)
cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 2.8.8)
add_executable(main main.cpp)

main.cpp:
int main() {return 0;}

System:
CMake 2.8.8
Visual Studio 2010, 64bit compiler
Windows 7 64bit

Did you set your startup project?  ZERO_CHECK will be the default but you
can override it by right clicking on the actual project you wish to run and
choosing "Set as Startup Project" in visual studio.  I believe this is a
user specific setting in visual studio (not a project setting) so you always
have to do this through the GUI.  I dont think there is anything in your
CMakeLists.txt you can do to work around it.

It doesn't matter what project is startup, it's got an always-build
sort of condition.  (but that's what catches changes if you modify
cmakelists.txt and rebuild)

Thanks for the explanation! I had the startup project set up correctly, but every project within a solution has a non-removable dependency on ZERO_CHECK, so it always gets built (I can see that this is required for proper handling of changed cmakelists.txt). I guess I just have to learn to live with the auto-build before run option.

I'm still hoping one day Visual Studio will support CMake without the additional projects like ZERO_CHECK and ALL_BUILD. Out of curiosity, does anyone have link to a discussion of all the related problems of CMake with Visual Studio?