That doubles the size of the executable, because if I do something like that:

ADD_LIBRARY(temp STATIC ${sources})
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(temp outside_deps)

ADD_EXECUTABLE(code main.cpp)
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(code temp)

then TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(...) also add outside_deps as link libraries for code, so they end up included twice.