Would it makes sense to have cmake-gui behaving
like ccmake ? After all there are both "UI".

It would accept the same set of options:

  -C <initial-cache>
  -U <globbing_expr>
  -G <generator-name>
 -T <toolset-name>

It would appear that ccmake is behaving incorrectly with respect to -D processing... http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=14538

So I think avoiding the phrase "like ccmake" in this discussion would be a good thing.

I do agree that ccmake and cmake-gui should behave the same with respect to these command line parameters. But I think ccmake is not the good example that we would want it to be...

David C.