On 2013-12-18 04:19, Stefan wrote:
I'm not sure if this is possible or not, but I'm trying to set an (environment)
alias in my cmake script:

alias makefast="make -j $(cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -c processor)"

You can't do that as such; the [alias] command would need to run in the context of the parent shell process, and that's not possible (not in any sane manner, at least). The closest you could get would be to write in your .bashrc a function 'cmake' that called 'command cmake "$@"' and then sets your alias.

Other comments: I'd multiply this by about 5/4; general experience seems to be that you want the number of jobs to be a bit higher than the actual number of CPU's in order to keep them busy when jobs are waiting on disk I/O.

Also, have you tried ninja¹? IME it's faster than make, and defaults to #CPU's + 2 jobs unless you tell it otherwise (so you wouldn't need 'makefast', just 'ninja').
http://martine.github.io/ninja/)

--
Matthew