On 07/21/2014 03:19 PM, Jörg Kreuzberger wrote:
1) i reset it with
  set( CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS ${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_INIT} )
  set( CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE ${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE_INIT} )
  set( CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG ${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG_INIT} )

  and then append my own custom compiler definitions. "-DNDEBUG" appears in
flags.make, only in CXX_FLAGS, but not in CXX_DEFINES!

and this is the issue i had with it: as long it appears only in CXX_FLAGS, it
works for the code compilation but it does not work for qt4_wrapp_cpp (missing
defines for moc).

2) the point i want to change global compiler properties is in my toplevel
CMakeLists.txt,
there i do
include( cmake/GlobalCompilerSettings.cmake)

3) following your example, it does not work for COMPILE_DEFINITIONS_RELEASE,
but does work for COMPILE_DEFINITIONS.
(works means it appears in CXX_DEFINES)
using release cmake 3.0.0 version. Platform is ubuntu linux (makefile generator)

I forgot that COMPILE_DEFINITIONS_<CONFIG> were deprecated.
When you require 3.0 the property is ignored (Policy CMP0043).

$<$<CONFIG:Release>:NDEBUG> in COMPILE_DEFINITIONS should work.

Nils