I tried this with a CMakeLists file that contains only a PROJECT and
ADD_EXECUTABLE (with a single C++ source file). The only things present in the
directory before running CMake were the C++ file, CMakeLists.txt, and a batch
file that I used to run CMake. I still get the "requires elevation" error even
when I run cmake.exe from a command line as administrator. It also doesn't seem
to matter whether I select Visual Studio 10 or Visual Studio 10 Win64 as my
generator.

I thought maybe the problem was that I didn't "install" CMake, rather (as I've
been doing for years, due to the way this project is version-controlled) I set
CMAKE_ROOT to a directory that happens to contain the CMake files and then ran
a copy of cmake.exe. I just tried the exercise again after doing a regular
installation of CMake 3.1.0 (using default choices only) and came up with the
same result. (Actually not quite: now -G "Visual Studio 10" says "The C
compiler identification is unknown", and only -G "Visual Studio 10 Win64"
produces the "elevation" error, whereas with my previous uninstalled version
both generators resulted in "elevation".)

David