Hello I am new to cmake,

I have two question´s concerning cross compiling with gnu compilers

1) First Question: Can anyone explain me, why a toolchain file is called twice when cross compiling? I use the current cmake version 3.2.2.

I use this toolchain file as an example...

# the name of the target operating system
SET(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME Windows)
message(STATUS "cross compiling with mingw32")
# which compilers to use for C and C++
SET(TOOLCHAIN_PATH "c:/MinGW32/bin")
SET(CMAKE_C_COMPILER ${TOOLCHAIN_PATH}/gcc.exe)
SET(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER ${TOOLCHAIN_PATH}/g++.exe)
SET(CMAKE_RC_COMPILER ${TOOLCHAIN_PATH}/windres.exe)
# here is the target environment located
SET(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH /MinGW32/bin)
# adjust the default behavior of the FIND_XXX() commands:
# search headers and libraries in the target environment, search
# programs in the host environment
SET(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_PROGRAM NEVER)
SET(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_LIBRARY ONLY)
SET(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_INCLUDE ONLY)

.. but the same happens whit other toolchain files => as an example on cross compiling for GNU ARM.

2) Second Question:

Is there a common way to select a specific Compiler and Compiler Version?

thx for the help
regards,
mathias