On 7/28/2015 8:59 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:
Hi,

I am suffering issues with BundleUtilities fixup_bundle() when used on
Windows with MinGW. The issue is because the underlying GetPrerequisites
module uses the MS dumpbin.exe utility to find dependent libraries of
executables. This is a problem because it crashes on many libraries and
executables from later MinGW tools, for example the GNU Fortran library
libgfortran-3.dll. I believe the crash is due to the DLL having no symbols.

The problem is exacerbated by GetPrequisites having very little error
checking so it silently fails and doesn't install the dependent libraries.

GetPrerequisites can use objdump if dumpbin is not available but this
has another issue. The output from 'objdump -p <executable>' can be very
long, over 10000+ lines for a large Qt library for example, and this
causes GetPrerequsites to run exceedingly slowly as it uses
execute_process() to capture the output into a CMake variable then
parses it with string(REGEX REPLACE ...) and a loop doing an if(...
MATCHES <regexp>) on every line.

So I have a choice of broken or too slow for practical use :(

Is BundleUtilities.cmake and GetPrerequisites.cmake maintained, if so
who by? I can suggest a few improvements, the main one being to filter
the command output used to get prerequisites in a pipeline
(execute_command() with multiple commands using grep) and better error
checking. Also perhaps dumpbin should only be used if objdump is not
available.

It is not supported by anyone in particular. However, it is a supported and well used part of CMake. I would suggest that you create a patch, and work on the cmake-developers mailing list:
http://www.cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob_plain;f=CONTRIBUTING.rst;hb=master

Looking at the code, it seems that objdump is intended for MinGW. I wonder if there is a less verbose mode that can get the same information. OR, it seems that MinGW has ldd (at least mine does). What happens if you use the ldd mode?

I would suggest that you try some stuff and see what actually works with your system and then report back to the cmake-developers list with either a complete patch or an approach that works and I can help you get it into CMake. Thanks for the contribution.

-Bill