On 7/30/2015 11:56 AM, Dan Kegel wrote:
I believe the latter, but not the former.
I never use the GUI, and consider the cache an anti-feature there solely
to support GUI users.  It complicates my life, and I'd love to see it go.
It is certainly not there just for the GUI. Every try-compile, find_library, find_program result is stored there as well. If you did this each time, it would be not only slow to re-run a build, but it might come up with different answers each time. If it went it would complicate your life even more. In what way do you think it is causing you trouble?

Also, CMake needs to be able to auto-rerun when its input changes and this is how the command line -D options are saved along with all the other system introspection results.

-Bill