On 9/24/2015 5:02 PM, Matthäus G. Chajdas wrote:
Hi,

how does the ExternalProject interact with subsequent find_library calls?

I've seen projects building dependencies through ExternalProject, but
those would the project manually by querying ExternalProject and adding
a new imported target. How would I connect an ExternalProject to one or
more find_library calls?

So, the trick is it all has to be ExternalProject including your project. Then the find_library stuff will work.

EP_add(3rdpartylib)
EP_add(myproj)

# at build time of myproj all of 3rdparytlib will be done and discoverable by myproj find_* calls. We often have project-bootstrap projects that use external project to configure an environment.

1. build project-bootstrap (all external project stuff)
2. cd myproject, and treat this like a standalone CMake project that has just discovered all of its depends on the system.

Is there a downside from configure taking an unknown amount of time? My
expectation was that there is no timeout for the configure step.
It is meant to be an interactive step with cmake-gui. Also, if there are configuration errors you would want to see them up front and not after a wait.

-Bill