Hi,

Following up to the list for posterity with information summarized by
Jc on scikit-build:

   https://github.com/scikit-build/scikit-build/issues/34#issuecomment-230070388

Setting the environment and using NMake generator will work. Visual
Studio generator can not be used with "Microsoft C++ Compiler for
Python 2.7" because neither devenv or msbuild are provided.

HTH,
Matt