On 16-Aug-16 16:37, Florent Castelli wrote:
Well, I tried upstreaming the new build scripts to some projects and it didn’t go well.
Some of the reasons I’ve heard of:
- Windows developpers don’t use CMake, they have project files on the repository.
  The CMake files for Windows will never be updated.
They can coexists, it's easier then maintaining forks. If only C++ code changed you got new version "for free".

- I installed CMake 2.8.6 five years ago and I don’t want to update yet again! People relying on old versions is quite common and any attempt to raise the min version will be frowned upon (see the discussion in the LLVM mailing lists for example).
You can add `if(CMAKE_VERSION VERSION_LESS ...)` condition. It's hard to support such hairy configuration but anyway.

- We prefer to use autotools and don’t want to have to learn CMake.
That’s fair. But also, no one likes to build an autotools backed project for Android or iOS.
Just for your info Hunter use build scheme for autotools project: https://github.com/ruslo/hunter/blob/b4c370e32798cc3da74c37e4156c3bfc77add379/cmake/modules/hunter_autotools_project.cmake It can create universal iOS libraries and works for Android. There are a lot of efforts made by Alexandre Pretyman so this can be possible, it has some peculiarities. I guess he can clarify anything if you need details.

Ruslo