On 11.11.2016 22:36 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
On Wednesday 09 November 2016 09:22:24 Nils Gladitz wrote:

Policy warnings are intended to encourage you to switch to new
behaviours since the old ones are deprecated.
In actively maintained projects they are not meant to be suppressed.

I heard that argumentation several times, and still don't agree.

"actively maintained" doesn't automatically mean to always require the newest
versions of everything, see the mail from Albrecht Schlosser (FLTK) or how
CMake requirements were handled during the KDE4 era.

To make the software buildable on as many as possible systems, it helps to not
to require new versions of any needed tools or libraries.

So, Albrecht can absolutely actively maintain FLTK, and at the same time
decide to require a relatively old cmake version (Ok, 2.6 is ancient).

I absolutely agree. (Surprise, surprise.) ;-)
Thanks for supporting my arguments.

As long as he doesn't plan to update the required version for cmake, I would
suppress all policy warnings about new behaviour.
Is it guaranteed that changing the code so that the warning, which appeared
e.g. in cmake 3.4, is fixed, still works correctly with the old, required
version of cmake ?
I think no.

Particularly not if you set any policy to NEW. I don't think that this is a valid setting because it would give different behaviour on older (pre-this-new-behaviour/policy version) and later versions.

I can't think of a real usage case of any policy setting to NEW. Unless your code is conditional depending on the CMake version.

Once there is a plan to upgrade the cmake version, the warnings become useful,
but IMO not before.

Nitpicking: should read "... upgrade the *required* cmake version ...".

This free library case (FLTK) where the public is addressed with the least restrictions is different than a (maybe commercial) project where you can dictate the required versions and can control the build environment.