Now that you described in more detail what you're trying to do I
realized that I had a similar problem to solve.

It's about generating packages for an arm-based linux-build
(Yocto-based). I decided against integrating my build into the
Yocto-build and instead I'm using cmake to cross-compile the
executables and libraries (C and C++).

Packaging is done with an IPK-file via a script launched by cmake
as the last step of the build process.

For each library and executable which belongs to a future ipk-package
I'm adding an install()-command which will, when the install-target
is run, place the files into a directory inside the build dir. This
directory is a dedicated one for the package:

For example:

top-level:

  set(PACKAGE_DIR ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/common-exe-package)

Somewhere in the hierarchy of the project's CMakeLists.txt

  add_library(common src.cpp [..])
  install(TARGETS common
          DESTINATION ${PACKAGE_DIR}/usr/lib)

and again somewhere else

  add_executable(exe exe.cpp)
  target_link_libraries(exe PRIVATE common)
  install(TARGETS exe
          DESTINATION ${PACKAGE_DIR}/usr/bin)

Then I create a custom_target to create the package:

  add_custom_target(
    ipk-common-exe
    COMMAND
        [..] # commands to finalize the ipk-tree and
             # tar xfz ... to make the ipk-files
    COMMENT "creating common-exe IPK"
    WORKING_DIRECTORY
        ${PACKAGE_DIR}
  )

  # add dependencies to a install-and-strip-target
  add_dependencies(ipk-common-exe install-and-strip)

The "install-and-strip"-target is defined at the top-level

  add_custom_target(
      install-and-strip
      COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} --build ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}
              --target install/strip)

the built-in install/strip-target has a dependency to all
targets use with install(TARGET ...)

I'm using ninja and make -jX, both work in parallel. I'm build several
packages in one cmake-build. Works like a charm.

An additional bonus is that the install-target also removed RPATHs from
executables.

HTH,
--
Patrick.