On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 11:00 PM Alan W. Irwin <alan.w.irwin1...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My parallel builds on my Linux OS (currently Debian Buster, but this
> also happened for Debian Jessie so this is a long-standing problem)
> have ascii null ('\0) characters inserted in the output while the
> corresponding non-parallel build does not have those extra characters.

I narrowed it down with Ninja which buffers command outputs in parallel
builds which makes it easier to match output to specific commands.
Alternatively I think CTest launchers might have helped with this too.
CMake uses them to redirect build command outputs to distinct files for
CTest submissions.

I see null bytes coming from the "cat test.error" in the script file
generated from
https://sourceforge.net/p/plplot/plplot/ci/master/tree/plplot_test/test_c.sh.in

If this only shows up in parallel builds perhaps multiple processes are
reading/writing the same test.error file in parallel?
Haven't looked closer than that. You probably know better where to look
from there.

Nils