So it sounds like you are on windows. First, be sure that the project that you
are building claims support for windows. Windows is still the “odd man out”
platform in many cases, so you don’t want to chase your tail with a project
that never claimed windows support in the first place. That said, assuming
windows is a supported build env, then it further sounds like you are using
cmake-gui.

The most sensible generator is one of the visual studio ones - 64 or 32 bit
depending on your needs. Once you have generated a project with cmake, you then
open that generated project with VS.

Alternatively, however, I’d also suggest you consider just using the built-in
CMake support in Visual Studio. If you download the latest version of VS (even
the community version), then you can just open a CMakeLIsts.txt file directly
and VS will run the generation step for you. It works pretty well in my limited
experience. It can a little tricky to figure out how to set some non-default
options in this workflow, but that’s more advanced usage anyhow.

-Mike