Visual studio 2017 is able to keep old project types and build them as
is... so it is using the 2013 tools even though loaded in the 2017 IDE.
I noticed this because the command line build tools are 2015, so if I
configure a project for node; it gets built as 2015, and the visual studio
project when loaded in 2017 shows (Visual Studio 2015) after the project in
solution explorer...

And/or you should be able to set the platform toolset

(in the project property dialog, General) Platform toolset : Visual Studio
2015 (v140)
I've seen it with other IDE projects; I don't have that system available
though (back to v110_xp)