On 2019-06-23 07:49-0600 Christopher Webster wrote:

Greetings,

  I am trying to figure out which generator to use on MinGW64 on Windows10, the
2-3 I have tried fail.

cmake version is 3.14.5

If I try "Unix Makefiles" I get:

$ cmake -S coin -B coin_build -G "Unix Makefiles"
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:\Tools\Packages\Coin3D
System is unknown to cmake, create:
Platform/MINGW64_NT-10.0-17763 to use this system, please send your
config file to cm...@www.cmake.org so it can be added to cmake

If I try "MinGW Makefiles" I get:

$ cmake -S coin -B coin_build -G "MinGW Makefiles"
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:\Tools\Packages\Coin3D
CMake Error: Could not create named generator MinGW Makefiles

There are a lot of different platforms that use the MinGW-w64 compiler so you
should probably
describe the platform where you are attempting to use that compiler in more
detail.  For example,
it sounds like you are simply taking a normal Window platform and downloading
the
MinGW-w64 compiler for that platform, but what is the exact URL for that
download?

I don't have any recent direct experience myself (I have no access to
Microsoft Windows and Wine Windows bugs are currently blocking access
to MSYS2), but PLplot developers I am aquainted with have recently had
a lot of success with the [MSYS2
platform](https://github.com/msys2/msys2/wiki) which is another exaple
of a platform that uses the MinGW-w64 compiler.  For that platform
they have found that "Unix Makefiles" and "MSYS Makefiles" generally
give good results.  They haven't yet tried "MinGW Makefiles" but from
my ancient (MSYS/Wine where MSYS is the predecessor of MSYS2)
experience for that generator you have to be sure that sh.exe is not
on your PATH (e.g., by renaming it) before it will work.  (I have
never quite been sure why that was a requirement, but my guess was the
"mingw" make version acts differently if it detects sh.exe.)  But
again from my ancient experience the rest of the Unix tools provided
by MSYS2 including bash.exe will likely work well with the "MinGW
Makefiles" generator.

I hope this (ancient direct and recent indirect) practical experience
with "Unix Makefiles", "MSYS Makefiles", "MinGW Makefiles", and
MinGW-w64 will be of some help to you.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project

Linux-powered Science