On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Michael Ellery wrote:
> I’d like to make sure I understand two different aspects of header files
> management for libraries:
>
> (1) typically you can add header files to target_sources, but it’s only
> helpful for IDEs..so that the IDE will show the header files in its sources
> list, correct?. In theory, cmake does not actually need header files
> explicitly specified for dependency tracking, although I guess listing them
> makes it explicit.
My experience has been that adding a header file makes sure it’s listed in the
IDE along with the other sources. Some IDEs will determine other non-listed
headers and list them under a different folder. But I’ve never seen listing an
unused header file getting added as a dependency so that changing it causes the
target to get rebuilt. I’ve always had to make sure that the header is included
in something that gets compiled.

—