I have been a Kaiser patient for over twenty years. This past August I was forced to switch to their "Senior Advantage" Plan for people on Medicare. For the remainder of 2005 Kaiser covered my Gleevec even though there was no Medicare provision for it. Kaiser covered it under a category of cancer medications. With the advent of Medicare Part-D Kaiser was slow in deciding, or publishing, what they were going to do about Gleevec.

EARLY ON I would call and write to Kaiser and they would only say that Part-D was confusing and they needed more time to figure it out. NEXT, they said I would still receive the Gleevec just as before with a regular co-payment and no deductible. This was never confirmed in writing. NOW Kaiser has gone on record. THE FIRST $3,000 of cost is covered with a normal co-pay for brand name medication. THE NEXT $3,600 of cost will be passed through to the patient. AFTER this Kaiser will cover the cost with a $10 co-pay. (This is in the Southern California region only, I don't know about their other regions).

KEEPING IT SIMPLE this means that in 2005 my co-pay was $360 for Gleevec with NO deductible. In 2006, with Medicare, my co-pay drops to $160 but my deductible is now $3,600. My total out of pocket jumps from $360 to $3,760. Kaiser does have a Medical Financial Assistance Program but it may be hard to qualify for. I'm looking into that.

Richard Troxel

--
Please visit my Yahoo 360 page at
http://360.yahoo.com/brorichard2005

New! Sign up for local CML support group meetings in your local community at http://cml.meetup.com

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com

CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Support List)