It is good to hear from you. I am glad to hear that yoga is having
a positive effect.

Rob

--- "Sylvia Guenther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: "Sylvia Guenther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:48:18 -0500
To: <CML@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CML] Digest Number 4233

Dear Rob and CML group

I am a long time member - first joined in Sept 1998 after being diagnosed
with CML in June 1998.  I was on interferon and ara-c for 3 years and
failing when I was accepted into a trial for gleevec in 2001.  I am happy to
report I am doing very well now.  Of course I attribute a lot to the support
of my family and gleevec, but I must mention that practicing yoga has made
an incredible difference for me.  I started doing therapeutic Iyengar yoga
in 1999 when I was in so much pain I didn't want to move an eyelash.  I knew
that I needed to move so I went to a yoga class.  The yoga centre was a
teaching centre and dealt with many chronic illnesses.  I was put in a
special class and spent a lot of time inverted.  (They had me doing
headstands and handstands when I could barely walk).  When I first started
gleevec I had tremendous bone pain in my legs and hips.  It was so bad (and
no pain killers touched the pain) that I nearly stopped gleevec.  The only
thing that gave me some relief was going up-side-down! I am very much
intrigued by the post "Yoga against Chronic Myeloid Leukemia".  I know that
there is no "scientific evidence" at this time, but I have experienced its
amazing benefits.
  Gradually yoga is being recognized by the medical community and research
is being done on the benefits of yoga.
The Yoga Centre I attend (and have finished 3 years in a Teacher Training
program) is involved in a scientific study with Harvard in compiling data on
the affects of yoga on cardiac patients.  As part of my "giving back" I work
with MS students and I see how much yoga makes a difference in their life.

If anyone is contemplating trying yoga I highly recommend it!

Sincerely

Sylvia Guenther

Message: 3