Steve,

I don't have much more to add than what everyone else has said.  I was
diagnosed in June/06.  I was put on Allopurinol for two weeks, and
started 400 mg of Gleevec a few days after the Allopurinol.

In the beginning I was a little more tired than usual, and experienced
some heartburn which is also a side effect of both medications.  But I
have been blessed to have no other side effects.

After one month of being on Gleevec both my WBC and platelets have
dropped significantly.

I agree with the others that you need to have an Oncologist that is
very experienced in what your wife has.  My Dr. has been involved in
alot of Research and he is so easy to communicate with.

Best of luck to your wife.  Having a supportive husband is a good
thing.  I am blessed on that part too.

Caron