Thank you Anjana.  Your email confirms everything what my doctor (Dr. Smith from JHU) has said.

anjana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear Livia,

Dr. Druker is no longer recommending any stem cell harvests for PCRU
patients, his patients have all mentioned this. And it has been
stopped also in our clinic. I do know a patient who used his harvest,
he is from another support group, I talk to his wife. He had a harvest
when he was in CCR and when he progressed in his disease, they used the
harvest in an autologous transplant and this kept him in remission for
only 3 months before the disease came back again. He is now on
Sprycel. Most doctors feel that with the advent of new drugs like AMN
and Sprycel and more coming, there are many options for patients
relapsing from Gleevec and an autologous transplant will only keep the
disease in control for a while before inevitable relapse so stem cell
harvests are just costly to do and most of the harvests sit in the
freezer.

You are right, they still do it in Europe, it could be because
clinical trials are not so accessible there though once Sprycel is
marketed everywhere, there will be accessibility to Sprycel for
patients who fail Gleevec.

I know many patients who had stem cell harvests from the old days
(almost none in this day and age) but I only know that one patient who
actually used his harvest.

Its good you are researching so thoroughly, Livia, before deciding.

Best Wishes,
Anjana
caregiver to Roy