Hey Madisen's Mom!

I told Rachel everything so that she wouldn't be afraid.  Granted she
was 9 years old at diagnosis, but it really just becomes a way of
life.  If Madisen had to have leukemia, this is the better one to have
right now.  Believe me, I've seen the treatment for ALL, AML, etc.,
and I would much rather have Gleevec.  It's your choice, but I think
bmt should be your choice if Gleevec or other drugs don't work.  A bmt
is not an easy treatment; however, there are times when a bmt is
appropriate and necessary.  Rachel had a bmt because Gleevec wasn't
available at that time.  Was it a cure for her?  No, but it did buy
her time until Gleevec became available.  These children are stronger
than you know.  She will keep you strong if you allow her to. Tell her
what is happening to her, and don't act scared while you're telling
her.  Tell her that with God, the help of good doctors, and smiles and
hugs between the two of you every day she can get better and live a
life just like all other children.  Rachel is 17 now.  You would never
know she has cml by looking at her.  She has a job, goes to school,
hangs out with her friends, and has a good life.  Don't see this as a
defeat.  It's just a change of lifestyle.  A different means to the
same end that everyone else has.  A different road to reaching a
successful and happy life.

Julie
Rachel's mom
dx 1999