Sandy,
In fact he doesn't have any donor. But even if he had, we do not go to BMT.
There are only 60% chance of survive and there are some cases that you have
to take gleevec after BMT or even worse, go to another BMT.
So, we are taking our chances with gleevec, and if one day it fails.. go to
tasigna, nilotinib, and so on.
The researches are so advanced that I belive in more 10 years we're going to
have a cure or at least a less side efect medication.
I feel sorry about you. I know what are you feeling. My son had a lot of
side effects - mainly bone pain, and it was very bad for me....I had been
crying ( hidden in my room) during the night for months - it's not easy now
and in the beggining it was worse. But it's over now. I can see that he can
live with that. Some get blind, some get tuberculoses, some get diabetes,
some get paralyzed legs, and they are living with that.
WE DO CAN LIVE WITH CML!
We just have to do what we have to do for a better life.
My son is ok now and he is becoming used to the meds.
Your son will be ok too.
Please feel free to contact me directly to my email if you want to.
Blessings from Brazil,
Ricardo.