--- On Tue, 4/14/09, Suzieq  wrote:
...  Maybe some day soon......they will decide there is a cure using something
so we can
all go off this stuff and feel like a human being again!

Me too!
Unfortunately the incentive (money) is in developing treatments, not cures.
I don't think anyone would actually suppressĀ  a cure for leukemia or AIDS. But
if there is a known mechanism for controlling a disease and keeping people
healthy that requires taking an expensive medication for the duration. Then the
incentive for competitors is to develop medications that do the same thing. And
there is incentive for both originator and competitor to develop drugs that
work when the original drug(s) fail.
Of course I owe my life to the development of the enzyme inhibiting medications
that control these diseases so I am grateful for their existence. And there is
ongoing research around the world to find actual cures. It's just that research
in the pharmaceutical industry is focused on finding more ways to inhibit HIV
and hopefully suppress CML with fewer side effects because, well, that's their
job.
I do think we will see a cure for CML. But it and many other areas of research
obviously have been delayed for many years by U.S. policy that was in my
opinion less than fully considered.
Patrick