From: Julie Workman <jworkma...@hotmail.com>
Subject: [CMLHope] Rachel is graduating and got a huge award!
To: CMLHope@googlegroups.com
Date: Friday, June 12, 2009, 7:38 AM

Hello to everyone!  I haven't posted in forever because Rachel has been doing
so well.  She went off her Gleevec about a year ago by her choice (now that
she's 19) and has remained in remission.

Wednesday night was her senior awards night.  She was honored by her high
school with the award of the night and received a raucous standing ovation.
She received a plaque and the following framed for her:

 Dare You

Life has required this young woman to grow up quickly and to experience
challenges that most teenagers cannot even imagine.  Since the age of nine, she
has battled leukemia.  The first of her trials began with a bone marrow
transplant from her sister followed by chemotherapy (actually the chemo was
first and the Gleevec was after).  She has struggled with this illness
throughout her years of schooling but has never allowed it to affect her
learning or positive attitude.  This year she participated in the ICE
On-the-Job-Training program to receive experience on the other end of the
patient/caretaker relationship by working at the Red Cross.  Despite the
challenges to her health and because of her determination and hard work, she
will earn a Core 40 diploma and attend Saint Francis University next year to
study nursing with an emphasis in pediatric oncology.  This young woman's
behavior defines the meaning of hard work and triumph in the face of
 adversity.  She treats others with patience, understanding, and
kind-heartedness, and she warms people with her smile.  She will definitely
make a fine health care professional just as she has been an outstanding
student at New Haven High School.  I DARE YOU, Rachel Workman, to continue with
your studies and be successful in the pursuit of your medical career.

Was I not the proudest mother on the face of the earth?  They also posted her
pictures at the top of the awards on www.newhavenbulletin.com.  Just got to the
part that says, "And the Award Goes to"

Thank you to all of you who guided our decisions regarding Rachel's treatment
over these long years.  You have all been an inspiration and a blessing.  For
everyone being treated currently for CML, keep your chins up.  There is light
at the end of the tunnel.  Is Rachel's journey through CML over?  I have no
idea, but my prayers have been answered that she would grow into a beautiful
young lady.

Julie Workman
(Mother of Rachel)
diagnosed 11/2/1999