From: "ncha...@aol.com" <ncha...@aol.com>
To: CMLHope@googlegroups.com
Sent: Tue, July 27, 2010 8:33:11 AM
Subject: [CMLHope] side effects

I was on Gleevec for 4 1/2 yrs.  I was tired, retaining fluid (pleural
effusions
and ascites) had those horrible swollen eyes, and worst of all had the
"bathroom
issues".  That was the worst.  If I felt like I had to go, I HAD to go, like
immediately!  That is pretty much the reason I retired from my much loved job
of
teaching.  Teachers just CANNOT go to the bathroom whenever they
want...something people never think about.  Due to the pleural effusions and
ascites, I was switched to Tasigna two years ago.  I feel FANTASTIC!  I lost
about 9 lbs. of fluid--no dieting and I weigh 117 lbs. which is normal for me.
No swollen eyes, have had ct scans that show NO pleural effusions or ascites,
and NO MORE "bathroom issues".  I have energy to walk daily exercising my two
beloved doggies, swim daily, jetski, waterski, and in general live a normal
active life.  If I had tried Tasigna earlier, I probably would not have retired
when I did, but it's ok because I taught for 35 yrs., so have a decent pension
to live on.  The only down side I have so far with Tasigna is the fasting
required for taking the drug.  I work it out by usually taking the pills at
about 10 am and 10 pm, so I can eat breakfast and also dinner when I want.  I'm
on 800 mg. per day.

Good luck!
Nancy in NY --