Peter,You were correct to dismiss the "death panels" as nonsense. It was a
twisted interpretation of the fact the Medicare would automatically pay for an
"end of life" consultation instead of requiring a case by case approval -
nothing more.I'm of course not familiar with Canadian health care. But it
sounds like you're saying you're on private health care at this point. That
would seem to indicate that Ontario (I'm assuming Canada's health care varies
by province) hasn't paid for any of your medications yet. If that's the case
then I would think you were at choice number one three years from now. Or maybe
they are already providing your drug coverage in some sort of public/private
combination program, like I said I don't know anything about Canada's system.
Even if that's the case Novartis has some really helpful people in their
patient assistance programs. They provided me with Gleevec at zero cost for the
year+ that the co-pay would have equaled
 about 75% of my annual income before I was able to get into a much better
program.I guess the take-away from my point of view is don't give up before you
try. :) You've got some calls to make and maybe some letters to write it sounds
like. When I first was prescribed Gleevec my oncologist sent to the dedicated
patient assistance program nurse. After about 2 hours of waiting she came out
and announced that despite her best efforts I didn't qualify for assistance of
any kind. I went home and made one phone call to Novartis and got approved in
less than 10 minutes. I think they discontinued the dedicated patient
assistance nurse position after my feedback to my oncologist. What was she
doing all day, every day?Wow, they'll pay for 2 drugs but not a third - how
completely arbitrary and illogical. If they're paying for A drug what do they
care which one it is?Patrick