  From: Marty Gartenberg
  To: CMLHope@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:51 PM
  Subject: [CMLHope] Dr. Rainer Storb, Mini transplant

  MEDICAL EXPERT SPOTLIGHT
  Dr. Rainer Storb

  Dr. Rainer Storb is one of the founding scientists of the Fred Hutchinson
Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington where he serves as Head of the
Transplantation Biology Program. He is also Professor of Medical Oncology at
the University of Washington School of Medicine.

  After receiving his medical degree in Germany, Dr. Storb performed three
years of post-doctoral work in Paris. He then joined the University of
Washington in 1965 with a Fulbright Scholarship, working in the Division of
Hematology under the mentorship of the late Dr. E. Donnall Thomas. I wanted to
do clinical research, so I wrote to three people. One was at the University of
Washington, Dr. E. Donnall Thomas he was the youngest of the three and did the
most interesting work, so I thought I had a better future with him.

  Dr. Storb transitioned from working in the lab during his early years at the
University of Washington to seeing patients in the general oncology clinic at
the University hospital, which was among the first institutions in the United
States to have an oncology division. Dr. Storb left general oncology care after
1975 to concentrate on bone marrow transplantation, which is where his focus
remains.

  In the mid-1990s, Dr. Storb developed what came to be called a
mini-transplant because it drastically reduced levels of chemotherapy and
radiation. "We're still working on reducing the complications of cancer
treatment," Dr. Storb said. "We have made a lot of progress. I can envision a
day when we hope to get rid of radiation and heavy chemotherapy to treat
patients."

  Today, Dr. Storb is primarily in the lab, but spends some time working with
patients at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and on a consultation basis.
“Patients want to know three things, Dr. Storb said. One, that their doctors
know medicine, two, that they are on the cutting edge of research, and three,
that they have compassion that they really care.

  When Dr. Storb isnt in his lab, he shares an active lifestyle with his wife
and son, a fellow rower, who both work in Hutchinson Center lab

  18's

email to cmlhope+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.