 From: "mar...@enter.net" <mar...@enter.net>
To: cml2 cml2 <c...@yahoogroups.com>; CML HOPE HOPE <cmlhope@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2014 1:43:53 AM
Subject: [CMLHope] NY Times OHSU ad

See the NY Times Sunday edition for May 11, 2014, for a 2-page ad
placed by OHSU (Oregon Health & Science University. Druker is here.)

Message: CANCER DOESN'T NEED ANOTHER RIBBON. IT NEEDS ANOTHER CURE.

In case you don't find it, here is the text:

At OHSU, we take a different approach to fighting cancer. We
revolutionized the treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia with Gleevec.
For hundreds of thousands of people, CML is no longer a death
sentence. That's one cancer down.

(Bold type) Cancer doesn't need more awareness. It needs more Gleevecs.

We are going after cancer as aggressively as it goes after us. And
because time is of the essence, Nike cofounder Phil Knight and his
wife, Penny, have pledged $500 million if we can raise a matching route.

Help us make cancer the victim.

onedown.org

Nancy Chando and I went to NYC in Jan. or Feb. to hear him speak: "The
Cure for Cancer Is within Reach.) The talk was at the 92nd Street Y.
We arrived, checked in at the main desk, and made our way through a
couple of security guys. We were surprised that Drucker would need
that. But then found out security was for Chelsea Handler. Didn't get
to see her. My memory has faded regarding what he said. But talk was
shaped by "Where we were, where we are, and where we're going. All is
hopeful. New drugs in the pipeline and the promise of the genome to
yield significant
information for research. Nancy and I met a woman in the audience and
sat 3 across with her. She had cml and was in remission. When it was
time for questions I raised my hand and told Drucker that we were 3
people in remission from cml & that we were forever grateful and
appreciative. And said we would like to shake his hand--and maybe hug
and kiss him. We got resounding applause for our remission. We
introduced ourselves to him after the lecture and had pictures taken
with him. We didn't hug or kiss him. He was modest and unassuming, not
formal or aloof. It was so satisfying to meet him. We felt lucky and
privileged.

My best regards to everyone. Hope you are well, or soon will be.

Ruth Marcon

A support group of http://cmlhope.com/