Well guys, here is how it all started, and how I was diagnosed.

 I am an anthropologist (physical anthropologist and archeologist), a wife
and a mother.  Of course, I am used to working hard, almost like a  slave
(all mom’s are J).  I guess about 7 years  ago, I started feeling a little
more tired than usual...I mean, field work is hard, working from 7:30  AM
until 3:00 PM at construction sites doing archaeological monitoring, pickup
my daughter at 4:00 PM or so and spending the rest of the day with her,
cooking, waiting for my husband to come home from work.  Putting the kid to
sleep at night.  Then, I would have to write my reports and if lucky, slept
a couple of hours to start a new day…

Mom can’t get sick…I started to feel more tired than usual, heavy night
sweats, pain in the back, left side just above the waist…Doctors said it
was nothing, probably my imagination…It got to the point that I would come
home exhausted.  I couldn’t even do house work.  I would move the furniture
to sweep and mop, then I had to sit for half an hour in order to be able to
put everything back in place,  Once I had my white blood count high and my
doctor told me that that only meant that I had an infection…

On December 18th  2011 I had to go to the ER of my nearest hospital.  After
examination and testing, xrays, ct, etc, they even considered sending me
home until the CBC arrived.  I was hospitalized just when the x-mass season
was getting good and my 14 year old was on vacation from school. WE had so
many plans that were never accomplished!!!! Knowing that my daughter was
suffering my absence was the main factor that gave strength specially
because not even my family came through.  We were and still are just 3, my
husband, my daughter and I…

I was then transferred from the hospital I was in to a government operated
hospital area known here in Puerto Rico as CENTRO MEDICO.  The HOSPITAL
UNIVERSITARIO DE ADULTOS has a specialized unit for leukemia patients. THEY
SAVED MY LIFE.

I had my first bone marrow aspiration and biopsy done at the first
hospital.  Results were in soon, 2 days or so and results were given to my
husband to take over to the new hospital.  Results were horrible, although
at that time I didn’t pay much attention to them.  Thank GOD I did not!!! I
would have given up then and there.

Final Diagnosis:

*Comprehensive Assessment: BLAST PHASE OF CHRONIC MYELOGENOUS LEUKEMIA WITH
T(9,22) AND DELETION OF 9Q.*

The patients peripheral blood smear shows markedly increased blasts.  The
bone marrow core biopsy also reveals a large population of blasts;
including 80% of the maroow spaces. The blasts are small to intermediate in
size with high N:C ratio, immature chromatin and a small amount of
cytoplasm with occasional cytoplasmic granules… the blasts are positive for
MPO,CD66, LYSOZYME  with no significant expression of  CD34 AND CD117…

PRONOSTICATING RESISTANCE TO TYROSINE INASE INHIBITORS AND UNFAVOURABLE
PROGNOSIS…