Probably because Microsoft has not typically fostered open source
development.  The culture of Microsoft-based development houses tends to
be towards shareware at the low end.  I think that this will perhaps
change in the near future depending largely on what happens with Mono as
well as Microsoft's stance on the .Net framework's availability for free
(if they maintain that then you will probably see more open source
solutions using C# than previous Microsoft technologies).  Also,
Microsoft may start to embrace open source if they think that it will be
more profitible to them in the long run.

Sincerely,
Anthony Eden