Question: how are the documents edited? Word? Framemaker?

Before embarking on a complex XML journey, I would investigate the native abilities of the editing software. Most decent word processors have capabilities for flexible references (with page #s that float with the target text). Next, I would search for a format-specific after market tool.

If that doesn't pan out, I would just go to PDF. If you need to distribute only changed pages, you may find there are PDF tools available even if there are none specific to the original format. There is a big market in PDF publishing and redaction tools.

A more narrowly focused search for tools will result in a much easier and less expensive tool adoption and deployment. Not sexy, though.

take it easy,
Charles Reitzel