From: Tom Weiss [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: 11 December 2002 20:53
To: cms-list
Subject: [cms-list] CMS and mobile handsets

I've been working on a really tricky CMS problem recently: basically if you run a large mobile portal you end up have to support a wide range of mobile phones (100+) and not all pages will work on all phones. For some, this is simply a case of the content not being appropriate, i.e. Club Nokia on a Motorola phone, some it relates to downloading paid for content that doesn't work on your phone (ringtones, java games), or may even be dependant on multimedia features on the phone (i.e. colour).

Basicaly you end up with a massive range of different sitemaps - almost one for each phone - whereas what you really want is a single sitemap and rules to define what pages are shown to different groups of phones.

Now - I've stated the requirement, which is half the battle - but as you know I am a great fan of using CMSs "out of the box" with as little customisation as possible, so what I'm wondering is
a) Does anyone know of a commercial CMS that can do this? (Vendors, this is not an invitation to spam me - if you system does it, then post to the list the name of an example site that is using your CMS out of the box for this application).
b) Is there another way to approach this problem that results in a solution without massive customisation to the CMS?

Cheers,

Tom.

--
http://cms-list.org/
trim your replies for good karma.

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.