Hi Charles,

>Ok, let's skip the polemics <g>.

Thanks, I also thought that you were relating my post to your first one.

It seams that you are analyzing Visual Studio .NET as Microsoft.NET (and
all it's parts, ASP.NET etc etc).

I understand what you are saying, I use at the moment Visual Studio a
lot but unlike you I'm surprised by it's stability considering that is
such a complex product in its first version.

>But I feel the basic issue I raised remains: beware of
>conflating XML editing or even Web Services with the Microsoft
>.NET CLR (common language runtime).

Yes, I concur with you also on this one but I'm more optimistic
considering that MS has before produce one of the best Java Runtime
Engines on the market for Windows platform. I honestly think that
Microsoft may have built CLR out of it's successful experiences with JRE
(Java Engine).

>I believe the state of the art of XML editing and Web Services to be
much >more mature and stable than the .NET CLR.

XML editing or Web Services does not have anything to do with CLR, at
most one can compare CLR with JRE. So it's not a fare comparison.

>Wholesale adoption of the .NET CLR poses real development and
deployment >risks and costs that XML and WS, by themselves, do not.

I don't see were this idea comes from (again I don't understand the
comparison). Considering that Web Services are as new to Java as it is
to all other technologies, that is, Web Services and XML Modules are to
be run over CLR, JRE or any other runtime technology (OS?). One builds
Web Services and manipulates XML Docs using Frameworks, Class Libraries
and or API's, within this scope one can compare Frameworks to
Frameworks, Class Libraries to Class Libraries, etc etc (but not for
instance XML with Web Services).

To cut a long story short generally speaking I understand that you
advocate the following:

"Do not use any software that makes use of the CLR for the time being",
in other words "Do not use Microsoft.NET at all or any Software that use
such an infrastructure for the time being due to it's lack of time in
the market".

It's an opinion that I respect. I must say that I do not have much info
to fully agree or disagree at the moment, but until now I'm happy with
what I've used from Microsoft.NET Framework in comparison with
comparable technologies (I'm not saying that it's better but I'm happy
with it still).

>So, the 64 billion dollar question for Office 11 is this: does
>it still use the same COM plumbing?

I'm sure that it does. I don't see Microsoft fully rebuilding all its
products over Microsoft.NET and still meet deliverables (abandoning COM+
from one night to the other day).

One thing is for sure, Microsoft lately has used the fact of arriving
late to build superior software products and take over the market,
although this one game (Enterprise level Frameworks competing with J2EE)
is much harder to be played even for them, especially when Open Source
is on the mix too.

Best regards,

Nuno Lopes
Independent Consultant.