From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, 3 January 2003 7:00
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cms-list digest, Vol 1 #381 - 6 msgs

Today's Topics:

   1. RE: Online training (Carol Avis)

--__--__--

Message: 1
From: "Carol Avis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 08:59:53 +1100
Subject: [cms-list] RE: Online training

Darrell,

You wrote you are " currently researching various CMS solutions for our org.
" and that you were llokiing for "a product that offers the delivery of
training content
along side of their CMS...Specifically, allowing the following:

 - media presentations (video, flash, etc.)
 - text documentation
 - Testing

"I'm not necessarily looking for a CMS with those features, rather I was
wondering if there is a class of products that fall into a 'Traning
Management System' classification that potentially integrates into a larger
CMS."

My company has a similar need and our results may be of interst to you.

We have defined our need as a CMS that can allow us to manage the following:
1) our already in-house developed e-learning content
2) other corporate content -- intranet, internet, and documents

We presently develop and deliver our product by including BlackBoard in our
suite of tools -- for development as well as delivery. What we need is a
corporate CMS that is e-learning aware i.e. that allows us to firstly better
manage our e-learning content, and later to be expanded to other content.

To meet our needs we have looked at a range of products commercial and open
source. We reluctantly are inclined -- because of our paucity of internal
skills -- to go the commercial route.

Within that route, we were then faced with a) good LCMS or b) e-learning
aware CMS which can integrate with LMS (BlackBoard).  Because we wanted to
keep to one system to do both e-learning content and corporate content,
we're leaning towards b).

There is a VERY narrow number of vendors of corporate CMS which manage both
e-learning and corporate content. (ANY who are out there reading this PLEASE
come forward if you really DO manage both and integrate with LMS
applications!). We have elected to examine An Australia product which
appears to have incredible potential. The australian DOD have also
discovered
it, as has Open Learning Australia (a consortium of 7-8 Aussie
universities). The company is Harvest Road. Their CMS proportedly will
integrate tightly with BlackBoard to create a final product called HIVE that
manages both e-learning and corporate. We are about to give it a suite of
tests.

Harvest Road's HIVE may be worth investgating for your own needs, Darrell:
www.harvestroad.com/. It is reasonaly priced as CMS's go.  (And you US
dollar will make that purchase even better!).  If there is anyone out there
you have implemented Harvest Road's HIVE to acieve goals similar to ours --
manage in-houise developed e-learning content and corporate content, I would
very much like to hear from you.

regards,

Carol Avis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]